This took a little longer than it should have.
I had a less formal blog before I set out to start this one, but I always planned to do something more serious, so to speak. Creating this blog is the best thing I ever did but seeing it grow everyday is even better. I look forward each day to coming home to write new stories or read other blogger articles. Being a part of the WordPress community is quite something.
Several months back I had a conversation with a designer in the fashion industry who completely changed my mentality. She insisted that when you want something, sitting around yearning, wishing that you could get it does not get you too far. “In fact,” she said, “sitting around, dreaming of all that could be, should you reach out for your dreams only makes it tougher and less likely to happen.” She repeatedly stated that while you sit around, time is passing by and the older you get the less likely you are to eventually go for it. And because you need to stay alive while you “plan” how you will obtain your goals, you continue to help your superiors to reach their goals and fulfill their dreams.
So I decided it is about time to stop planning and start doing. Well, start to act and off course continue to plan for the future but actively so. My boss once told me that the biggest challenge we are faced with when we desire to attempt something new, is to actually start. He stressed the importance of action. After all, it is in doing that we learn.
And voila! I started Memoirs of a Kenyan and I am loving every minute of it. Awards like this make it all the more special and being in such a loving community and encouraging friends is a lot more than I bargained for. So thank you all so much for everything and please, do stick around. My deepest prayer is that I together with my amazing team live up to your expectations and more.
And again Uzoma, you have been a constant source of encouragement and motivation. For that, I am ever grateful.
LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD
- Post the award image on your blog. There are several varieties. Google them and find the one you like the most.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the person/people who nominated you.
- Make up 11 questions for those to be nominated.
- Nominate 11 people to receive the award. They should have fewer than 200 followers on their blog.
- If you’re nominated, your name and/or link will appear at the bottom of this post.
11 Facts About Me:
1. Like many people I could not live without music.
2. Right after a shower the first thing I do is gloss my lips.
3. I have wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember.
4. I really do not like camping.
5. I absolutely love badminton and I started to play tennis two summers ago.
6. I love the adrenaline rush from speed-learning to ride a motor bike is on my bucket list.
7. The smell of wet soil after light showers is simply out of this world. It takes me back to my childhood.
8. My laptop, cell phone and the book I am currently reading share my bed with me.
9. I am obsessed with swings.
10. I only sip sweet white wines.
11. I have been very fortunate to have the most amazing friends all over the world.
My answers to Uzoma’s 11 questions:
- Science, religion or both? I fall in between: A little bit of science and a little bit of religion. I feel that they, to a great extent explain each other.
- One past hero you wish to meet? Michael Jackson was a legend. I would have loved to have met him.
- One thing you wish was never invented? Nuclear bombs are mankind’s worst weapon. I think they are the most terrifying thing created. Think of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima and Nagasaki-that was horrific.
- Are you left-handed? Sadly no, left-handedness is so sexy.
- Your childhood cartoon hero/heroine? I would not call him a hero, but I was obsessed with Johnny Bravo! Truth is, I still watch him any chance I get. Classic cartoon.
- Anger management: what’s your advice? Keep your lips sealed. Walk away. When you are angry, you could easily say a lot of hurtful things that you may not mean, yet words once spoken cannot be taken back.
- Does a book’s cover really matter to you, yes or no? Yes, I admit I’m sold by a book’s cover.
- Why (refer to question 7)? Both the cover and the size of book matter a great deal to me. (Size)Too small-joke, Too big-sorry not enough room in purse, Medium-perfect! I like a creative writer, one who will surprise me and the cover gives a hint. If the cover stops me in my tracks, bingo! A must read, just like that.
- Favourite line in your national anthem (be patriotic)? “heritage of splendor, firm may we stand to defend”
- Do you believe in the existence of angels and demons? I know there is good and evil in the world.
- Where do you fall in the zodiac diagram? Aquarius?
My 11 questions to My Nominees
1. What is your most embarrassing moment?
2. What is your deepest fear?
3. Name three things that you cannot live without?
4. Who has been of the greatest influence in your life (anyone at all)?
5. The one thing that never fails to cheer you up is?
6. What does being free really mean to you?
7. Do you have a mantra that you live by? If so, what is it?
8. What was the funniest thing you heard yesterday (a day ago)?
9. When was the last time you cried?-If it is not confidential, what caused you to cry?
10. Have you ever tried a meal and completely hated it? What was it?
11. Tell us about a moment in your life when you were the proudest you have ever been of yourself.
David W. Hunter